ACT Community Food Drive
So, what does a Conservation Trust do when it can’t build trails with its dedicated volunteers?
We find another way to help our community!
We asked Wendy Lank, Arundel’s Director of General Assistance, “What do you see as the most urgent needs of our residents?” She had one word for us: FOOD! The COVID-19 lockdown has been very tough for so many of our friends and neighbors. Lost jobs and the inability to open businesses have left many needing some extra help. Because food supply is the most urgent need, the Arundel Conservation Trust (“ACT”) is conducting a food drive May 9 - May 16, 2020. Details of what is most needed and how Arundel residents and others in our community can donate urgently is listed below.
There are three ways you can donate food supplies to the ACT drive:
ACT volunteers will pick up food donations at a donor’s residence (following COVID-19 safe distancing and other health precautions) on Saturday, May 16, from 9AM – Noon.
Food donations can be left in ACT collection bins starting Saturday, May 9 at our Welch Woods property or starting Monday, May 11th at the Arundel Fire Station or J. Brothers Variety store (corner of Rt.#1 & Campground Rd) through Friday, May 15.
ACT volunteers will be at Vinegar Hill Music Theatre on Saturday morning, May 16, from 9AM – Noon to accept drop-offs.
The greatest food need is for canned goods - meat, fish, vegetables, beans, and other durable food. A full list of needed foods is listed below.
The ACT food drive is being organized in partnership with the Town of Arundel (Wendy Lank, Director of General Assistance) and Community Outreach Services (COS), serving the individuals and families in the towns of Arundel, Kennebunk, and Kennebunkport, Maine. This is an urgent need for so many families and residents as the pandemic stretches on. Your help is needed NOW and is deeply appreciated! These are the times when we all need to come together to help and support each other.
ACT 2020 Food Drive
List of needed items from Community Outreach Services (COS)
If possible we prefer cans/bottles/jars that are single meal sized, usually 12-16oz.
- Canned vegetables: green beans, corn, peas, carrots, mixed, etc
- Canned beans: baked, retried, black, red, white, etc.
- Canned or bottled tomatoes or tomato/pasta sauce
- Canned, bottled, or single serve sized fruit: peaches, pears, apples, apple sauce, etc
- Soups: any kind including cans, ramen packages, instant soup in a cup, etc
- Canned stews or chili
- Canned meats: chicken/turkey, beef, ham, tuna, etc
- Canned pastas: spaghetti Os, ravioli, etc
- Bottled, canned, or boxed juice: individual size to half gallon, apple, orange, grape, etc
- Boxed stuffing mix
- Boxed or 1-2 pound bags of rice
- Boxed instant mashed potatoes
- Boxed or bags of pasta or macaroni and cheese
- Boxed cereal
- Pancake or waffle mix
- Jars of peanut butter
- Boxed crackers
*Note to please check expiration dates before donating